No matter how much we deny it, aging is simply inevitable. However, appreciative of beauty as people are, getting old and losing every soft and tender inch of the body pampered throughout decades doesn’t really pose a very good investment. That’s when the quest for the perfect anti-aging cream started.
The market is flooding with numerous creams and lotions which promise you of younger and better-looking skin. The thing is, do these over-the-counter creams really provide you with wrinkle solutions?
Understanding the Basics
Wrinkle creams or anti-aging creams, by definition, are products marketed which promise consumers a younger looking skin by reducing blemishes, spots, wrinkles, fine lines and skin discolorations.
The Composition of Wrinkle Creams
Wrinkle creams are efficient as their ingredients. In simpler terms, the efficiency of a specific wrinkle cream is dependent on the types of ingredients it has. The most common ingredients used are listed below.
- Retinol. It is a vitamin A derivative which is the very first antioxidant compound widely used in over-the-counter wrinkle creams. It is neutralizes free radicals and toxins which cause cell and skin breakdown which, in turn, causes the skin to sag and wrinkle.
- Coenzyme Q10. A nutrient that is capable to regulate energy production within the cells is scientifically termed as Coezyme Q10. According to studies, this nutrient enables reduction of fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes specifically. It is also an active compound which can protect the skin from sun damage.
- Hydroxy Acids. Hydroxy acids in the form of alpha-, beta- and poly hydroxy acids are synthetic copies of the naturally-occurring exfoliating acids present in sugar-containing fruits. These substances are capable of removing the dead skin cells and stimulate new cell and skin growth. Products containing hydroxy acids, though, increase your sensitivity to the sun’s rays and can result to sun damage is overlooked. It is wise to wear sunscreen while using products with this content.
- Kinetin. This plant growth factor reduces wrinkles and pigmentations with the least possibility of irritation. The true mechanism of how this compound works is not yet fully understood, but theories suggest that it stimulates production of collagen which is essential in maintaining skin integrity.
- Copper peptides. Copper is a natural trace element found in cells. Produced commercially, copper is combined with peptides (protein-based substances). These compounds enhance wound healing, increase production of collagen and improve the action of antioxidants.
Safety and Efficiency
According to FDA, these creams are relatively cosmetics and are, therefore, belonging to products which have no medical value. Additionally, cosmetic products are not evaluated by the FDA for effectiveness; but are permitted for marketing under strict regulations and proper usage.
If you are planning to buy wrinkle and anti-aging creams, just make sure that you do not jump into any hasty decisions. Be informed of what you think is important to you. Other related articles about anti-aging are seen on this site.